Sugar-free shave ice is easy to make with Sno Biz dry-mix flavors and artificial sweeteners like NutraSweet, Splenda or Equal.
Most diabetics in the past counted bread, fruit and vegetable exchanges as a way to monitor their diet. Today a more precise method counts carbohydrate, fat and protein exchanges in the diet. For example, every 15 grams of carbohydrate is a carbohydrate exchange. A Sno Biz sugar-free shave ice (60ml or 2oz. of syrup over shaved ice) is approximately 1/3 of a carbohydrate exchange. Among diabetics, an exchange this small is considered a free exchange or a “free food.” Therefore, anyone inquiring about exchanges can be informed that A Sno Biz sugar-free shave ice is a “free carbohydrate exchange.”
Sno Biz flavors that meet the definition of sugar-free*
* These flavor packets impart an insignificant amount of sugar to the syrup when blended with an artificial sweetener.
Sugar-Free Mixing Instructions
- Blend contents of Sno Biz dry mix flavor packet to an amount of artificial sweetener equal to 5 pounds of sugar (this amount varies by sweetener, such as NutraSweet, Splenda, Equal, etc.).
- Dissolve mixture in half gallon of warm water. Mix well.
- Add cold water to fill remaining gallon. Each Sno Biz Shave Ice Flavor Packet makes one gallon of Sno Biz Sugar-Free shave ice syrup.
* Regardless of artificial sweetener used, refrigerate Sno Biz shave ice sugar free syrup.